Create the new face of Robin Hood and you could find your creation on display at the new Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre, which is opening this year. Plus, there is a fab first prize of a family cinema voucher and an amazing box of art supplies from Seawhite of Brighton.
Robin Hood is one of our most loved folklore figures – for some he was a hero for the downtrodden, for others he was a downright scoundrel. We want you to bring him to life by creating a Robin Hood portrait and sending it to us by 31 August. It can be created as a painting, drawing, photograph, illustration, engraving, collage, embroidery – anything goes; just be creative and keep to the theme.
The winning entry, plus selected additional entries, will be on display in the new Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre. Run by the RSPB, this newly built facility is due to open its doors in August this year and will be hub for all things relating to Robin Hood and his leafy home.
To celebrate the launch of a new Robin Hood film at the end of this year, there is a first prize of a £100 Cineworld gift voucher to take the whole family for a viewing at a time and UK venue of your choice. Also, Seawhite of Brighton, a specialist supplier of art & design materials with a manufacturing facility near Sherwood Forest, has put together an amazing box of art supplies for the winner.
Judging will be a combination of social media feedback and a judging panel of Robin Hood savvy specialists, who will look for relevance and creativity. Find out more about our judging panel here.
How to enter
- Create your portrait of Robin Hood.
It should be no bigger than A4 size (210 x 297 mm).
- Read the terms of the competition.
- Send your entry to arrive with us by midnight 31 August.
- Include the following details:
If under 18, please include the entrant’s name and date of birth, plus the name, phone number and email address for the entrant’s parent/guardian.
- Entry by email: Entries can be scanned in or photographed and the digital image sent to email@example.com
- Entry by post: Entries can be posted to Sarah Payne, Newark and Sherwood District Council, Castle House, Great North Road, Newark, Notts NG24 1BY.
Terms of the competition
- The competition runs from 19 March 2018 to 31 August 2018. Entries must be received by midnight, British time, on Friday 31 August.
- There are no restrictions on who can enter. Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Entries must be deemed relevant to the competition and we reserve the right to refuse entries that have no connection with Robin Hood.
- This is a family-friendly competition and we reserve the right to refuse entries deemed to be offensive.
- By entering, you confirm that the portrait you enter is your own original work of art.
- Entries should be sent via post or email.
Post to: Sarah Payne, Newark and Sherwood District Council, Castle House, Great North Road, Newark, Notts NG24 1BY
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If emailing, the portrait can be scanned in and the image emailed, or a photograph of the portrait can be submitted.
- Judging will be a two-step process. The first step will involve publishing all accepted entries online, with judging by our online audience. The top 10 selected will be sent to the judging panel for the second step, which will result in a single winner. The winner will be announced by Sunday 16 September.
- By entering the competition, you agree to us publishing your Robin Hood portrait, alongside your name, across the Visit Newark and Sherwood social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube, on the Newark and Sherwood District Council websites and on marketing and promotional materials, including PR to third parties. Entries will be published during and after the competition. You retain copyright of your entry.
- The winner will be contacted by email or telephone by 16 September.
- Where the competition is won by a person younger than 18, we reserve the right to award the prize to the prizewinner’s parent or guardian on behalf of the prizewinner.
- The winner and selected entries will be on display at the new RSPB Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre that is due to open in August 2018. The exact location within the centre, the number of entries on display and length of time they will be on display will be decided by the RSPB in September.
- There is a single first prize of a £100 gift voucher to be used at a Cineworld cinema in the UK within 12 months, plus art supplies from Seawhite of Brighton, including a Kraft A4 storage box, A4 concertina sketchbook with case, A4 burgundy sketch book, A5 eco starter sketch pad, A6 hard cover travel journal, Koh-I-Noor mechanical pencil with a large 5.6mm lead, box of 12 Koh-I-Noor Aquarelle water soluble colour pencils, and a putty rubber. See Cineworld gift voucher terms.
- There is no cash alternative to the prize and we reserve the right to change the prize if necessary.
- No purchase or payment is required to enter this competition.
- Employees of Newark and Sherwood Council are not eligible to enter this competition.
- The competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or YouTube.
- In compliance with data protection laws, we will not pass your details to any third parties and we will not use your details for any purposes other than this competition.
- This competition is run by Visit Newark & Sherwood, which is the tourism brand of Newark and Sherwood District Council, Castle House, Great North Road, Newark, Notts NG24 1BY. Telephone: 01636 650 000.